Wednesday, April 18, 2012

December 19, 2011



 
 This is an update that I wrote to my friends on facebook:
Saturday was the first time I saw my son get an apnea spell that required the nurse to bag him. When this happened I was beside him talking to him and the monitor started beeping the nurse came to stimulate him and it went slightly up then in a second it started going down again, she patted him on his butt, caressed his back and I held his hand and tried caressing him too. I saw him turning blueish and at the same time I was saying his name "Jacob, please breathe baby". She turned him around and they bagged him (which seemed like an eternity) and he wasn't responding . The guy who bagged him yelled to the nurse put it to 100. She did and my baby started getting color again. I looked at him and she said "Jacob, you scared your mommy" and he opened his eyes and smiled. I was in pure shock, I was crying my eyes out without making any noise. All the nurses and doctors said it is common with preemies and that he had that at earlier in the morning too. I was upset that they hadn't informed me of that earlier. I came home and broke down, it was to scary to see my baby that way. I went back at night and did kangaroo care with him while being with me he had a few apnea spells but this time the stimulation worked.

After the apnea spell where the nurse had to bag my little baby on Saturday. The doctor told me his co2 levels where high in the 80's so they changed his hhcn to the high frequency ventilator. Because besides that his co2 levels where high, he was also puffy, and they thought he might have an infection. So they want him to relax and for the machine to breathe for him. He is getting 3 diff kinds of antibiotiocs, pain medication, lasix and no feedings. His lungs looked bad on Saturday and now they look better, the lasix took care of the fluid. Now his intestines worried the doctor. He hadn't pooped and she was giving him suppositories. He pooped yesterday and the xrays started to look better so she said she couldnt rule out nec so they will treat my baby like he has nec. that is what the doctors are saying that they cannot be 100% sure that Jacob has NEC, they can just take precautions and start treating it. He is off BM also, and instead of the feeding tube there is another tube now replacing that one, because he had a lot of air in his stomach so they are trying to take it out. Doctor is saying that he will be on antiobiotics for 10 days. Please pray that my baby gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment